In November 2009, with a shared objective for high performing, low emissions, and energy secure economies, the governments of the United States and India launched the U.S.-India Partnership to Advance Clean Energy (PACE). As buildings consume one third of India’s electricity, one of the efforts under PACE is facilitating the implementation of Indian Energy Conservation Building Code (ECBC) at the state and local levels. In support of this effort, the U.S. Department of Energy’s Pacific Northwest National Laboratory has been providing technical assistance and developed project deliverables. The deliverables include:
- Roadmap for Rajasthan to Adopt ECBC – provides detailed recommendations on ECBC implementation in Rajasthan throughout the process.
- Third Party Inspector White Paper – compares international enforcement approaches and recommends using third parties in India to enforce ECBC.
- Recommendation on Integrating Third Parties in Building Permitting Process – analyzes existing compliance process and recommends integrating third parties into building permitting process.
- Jaipur Pilot Building Brochure – summarizes successes and lessons learned from the Jaipur pilot building to demonstrate ECBC feasibility and benefits.
- Rajasthan Impact Assessment Report – reviews progress made in Rajasthan on ECBC implementation including compliance, implementation framework, capacity, etc.
- Building Code Compliance Evaluation White Paper – shares international experience in compliance assessment and provides recommendations on compliance evaluation options for India.
- Toolkit for ECBC Implementation – provides an overview of needed and available resources to support ECBC implementation in cities.
- GIFT-ASPIRE One Pilot Building brochure – highlights features and benefits of the first ECBC-compliant building in GIFT City, India’s first smart city, located between Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar in the State of Gujarat.
In addition to the deliverables, there are presentations to introduce ECBC and share international experience. The presentations include:
- ECBC 2017 Introduction(PDF) (PowerPoint version in Zip format)– aims to help information urban local bodies, state governments and other stakeholders about the fundamentals of ECBC 2017 through a better understanding of the benefits of ECBC 2017 and its core provisions.
- ECBC Benefit Analysis in Gujarat – assesses long-term, potential benefits of ECBC in Gujarat.
- U.S. Experience in Building Code Implementation – shares U.S. experience in implementing building energy codes in smart cities.